Monday, February 7, 2011

2/4/2011 - Day 20 - Date Night at home: dill salmon, rosemary mashed potatoes & broccolini

My lovelies, I'm sorry I don't have any pics from Thursday night (last night). It was game night & our group completely DEVOURED the Runzas! The warmth in my heart I feel when feeding my friends & loved ones completely makes up for any frustration felt during the cooking :)

Tonight, DBF & I decided to have a Date Night & home & spend some quality down-time together. We made dinner together (I was in charge of the salmon & broccolini, DBF was on mashed potato duty) & then ate leisurely at the table, chatting & catching-up. It's crazy sometimes when you live with a person you have it in your brain that you spend lots of time with them. While it's true that DBF & I are in close proximity to each other more hours out of every day than not, we often find ourselves engrossed in our own separate interests or otherwise "together" but not really together together. It's important to just set aside some time exclusively to have "face-time" with each other to maintain a healthy relationship. I find myself completely blessed to have a partner I can talk to for hours about anything & everything. By doing regular, mostly informal Date Nights we make sure to spend some time directly enjoying each other's company without distractions. It's lovely :)

Broiled Salmon
  • Salmon
  • 2-3T minced fresh dill
  • squeeze of lemon juice
  • light drizzle of olive oil
  • Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning (or just salt & pepper to taste)
Preheat oven to 375. Drizzle olive oil & lemon juice over fish. Rub dill & seasoning into the fish & make sure the olive oil & lemon juice is evenly dispersed. Bake for ~10 min or until fish flakes but is still moist.

As a native of Nebraska, I always make DBF (a Seattle native) check my fish for done-ness. I have a tendency to over-cook fish (but I ROCK at cooking animals that live on land!)

The broccolini I just sauteed up with some butter & garlic salt. DBF made the potatoes in the usual way with butter, milk & garlic salt, but added a few tablespoons of minced fresh Rosemary! DELISH!

Dill salmon + rosemary mashed potatoes + broccolini

To round-off our Date Night, DBF & I headed to a new-to-us coffee shop in the neighborhood for hot beverages & a little sweet treat. Perfection :)

No comments:

Post a Comment