Wednesday, January 26, 2011

1/24/2011 - Day 9 - The Project Continues...+ TACOS!

 Sustainable Eating Project - The project continues!...

So our original challenge of eating all local organic food for one week was a huge success! Not only did we prove to ourselves that we could do it on our regular weekly food budget, we also found plenty of additional reasons to make this a long-term lifestyle change.

First, the food is CRAZY DELICIOUS! Seriously? I would pay $30 per person per meal at a restaurant to get anything even close to as delicious as the food we've been eating has been.

Second, I'm not hungry! A little back-story for you: I have been chronically hungry for as long as I can remember. Even as a small child I would often eat & eat & still never feel "full" or "satiated". Living my entire life with this condition I figured that was how everyone was. It really baffled me how anyone could stick to a 1200 calorie diet when I could eat upwards of 3000 calories a day & STILL feel hungry. This week I have found the cause of my hunger & it's cure!!!!!!!! The food we have been eating is just so nutritionally rich, my body gets full so much faster & stays full longer. We've even started eating off of salad plates at dinner! Tonight I ate ONE taco for dinner! *ONE!* A small one even! Usually I would need to eat 3 to feel even remotely "full" & then I'd usually have to just settle for "bloated" while remaining hungry.

I could go on & on, but those are the two most surprising findings from our week of locavore eating. On to the food!

****Tonight's dinner - Tacos w/ homemade flour tortillas!
Did you know tortillas are super easy to make??? I DIDN'T! Check it: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Flour-Tortillas/Detail.aspx














Taco filling: ground beef from Skagit River Ranch, onion & red pepper from Full Circle Farms, garlic, taco seasoning (which we had in the pantry & I won't be using again b/c I could taste the MSG & weird chemical flavorings in it), lettuce, cheese, refried beans, & salsa.

The beef was so lean & delicious we didn't even have to drain it after browning!


Skagit River Ranch has the happiest, tastiest animals :) Thank you, cow, for being so incredibly delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment