Thursday, January 27, 2011

1/27/2011 - Day 12 - Truffle MANIA!

Tonight DBF & I were trying to figure out what to make for dinner when I realized that we still hadn't used the truffles I bought last week at the Farmer's Market. I have honestly never cooked with truffles before, but was sure I would like them because I know I've had dishes at high-end restaurants that included truffle.  I had two small truffle nuggets to use & decided to make truffle mashed potatoes, shrimp & hedgehog mushrooms in a truffle cream sauce, & sauteed collard greens. (Plus a glass of spiced apple cider, yum!)

I found this little guy in the bag of potatoes! Awww, so cute!

Truffle mashed potatoes: Make mashed potatoes (I used home made butter & milk from Twin Brook Creamery). Then I grated a whole truffle nugget over the top (I used a fine Microplane) & stirred it in. (The truffle nugget was probably about 3/4 of an inch in diameter.)

Shrimp & hedgehog mushrooms in a truffle cream sauce: I put butter in the pan, added the mushrooms, shrimp & two good splashes of white wine. When shrimp were fully cooked I added heavy cream & grated my second 3/4 inch diameter truffle into the sauce. 

The greens I just cooked up with some green onion, garlic, more home made butter (what can I say? I love butter!), water & a generous splash of Worcestershire sauce.

I was SHOCKED at how awesome truffles are!!!!! SOOOO DELICIOUS! I can't really find accurate words to describe the amazingness! Honestly, they deserve their reputation as an aphrodisiac (sorry if this is TMI!) While eating dinner I was stricken with the competing desires to A) tear off all of my clothes, B) rub my face on my food, C) jump DBF's bones immediately, & D) all of the above! It's also worth noting that I don't think any meal EVER has had this kind of effect on me. It's like...it's like...hmmm...it's like eating the most sumptuous chocolate confection but ... sexier.

So, naturally I'm curious as to WTF is going on here! So I Googled "why are truffles sexy?" (You know, like you do.) And I found this website that helpfully explains "that truffles’ musky scent replicates the scent of the male pheromone androstenone." Mmmm, sexy! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment